Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings
Page 2 of 84 12 341252 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.87 average.
Old
  (#16)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-25-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I thought BU was Boston University.
I am hoping that some day people will say: "I thought BU was Billiard University ... what's this you're talking about in Boston?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
But your tuition and fees are better.
Excellent point. Our "tuition" is much lower. In fact, everything is free unless you want an official diploma or instructional DVDs. Even then the "tuition" is very reasonable.

Do you plan to try the exams and post you score (and maybe videos)?

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#17)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icem3n View Post
Nice aiming system.
Thanks. In case people are wondering what you are referring to, here it is:
NV D.9 - How to Aim Pool Shots - from Vol-II of the Billiard University instructional DVD series

Quote:
Just curious, would a referee be calling a foul from the slight chalk residual left from the tip?
... only if chalk residue is visible, which usually isn't the case (unless you chalk the tip excessively and sloppily before aiming).

Quote:
I do know it is hardly visible and I do know you are doing an unintentionally marking.
Obviously, if you are intentionally marking the cloth, this approach would not be allowed.

Quote:
You are getting the point of aim. Thanks.
... only if you have practiced and are good at judging the distance the tip should be placed relative to the CB. But if you place the tip accurately, the method gives you the exact line of aim required for the shot (assuming you have accounted for throw if necessary).

Thanks for the comment.

Do you plan to post your score, and maybe exam videos?

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#18)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-25-2013, 05:33 AM

Have you guys checked out the online BU break instructional video yet?

Here it is: NV D.14 - Pool Break Technique Advice - from Vol-III of the Billiard University instructional DVD series

FYI, other break technique advice can be found on the break technique and equipment advice resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Old
  (#19)
DeadStick
student of the game
DeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Great stuff, Dr. Dave. I see what I'll be working on the next several practice sessions.

Apologies if this question is answered in one of the later videos, but how does equipment variability come into play, e. g. bucket vs. tight pockets, 7 vs 9 ft tables, etc?

Brunswick Centennial 9-foot table with Mark Gregory rails, 4.5" pockets, and Simonis 860HR.
Jim Baxter 60" amboyna burl plain jane with Z2 shafts, OB break cue, Steve Lomax ebony with silver-rings jump cue.

Old
  (#20)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
Great stuff, Dr. Dave. I see what I'll be working on the next several practice sessions.
I'm glad to hear it. I look forward to seeing your score (and videos if you have a camera).

Quote:
Apologies if this question is answered in one of the later videos, but how does equipment variability come into play, e. g. bucket vs. tight pockets, 7 vs 9 ft tables, etc?
Here's a quote from the BU Exam Instructions document:

A 9’ table is recommended because the exams and rating system were designed for a regulation-size table. To receive a Doctorate diploma, both exams must be taken on a 9’ (or larger) table; however, a smaller table size (e.g., 7’ or 8’) is allowed for a Bachelors or Masters diploma.

We also collect table and pocket information (pocket point-to-point size and shelf depth) with the diploma application form, and publish this information with the scores on the official page that lists people's results. This will provide useful context along with the scores.

For this AZB thread, I thought people would just share their score, but they can also list the table info if they want to (for example, if they are proud of the fact they got a great score on a 10' table with 4" pockets!).

In terms of using the BU exams to monitor and track progress over time, it doesn't matter which equipment you use, as long as it is the same equipment each time.

Good questions. We thought about incorporating equipment difficulty into the scoring somehow, but we decided it would be too difficult to do so in a practical and useful way. That's why we settled on the approach described above.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

Old
  (#21)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-26-2013, 07:48 AM

This sounds great. I am looking forward to practicing. I would like to see the BU doing a road school like the pool schools Randy and Scott do.

Old
  (#22)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
This sounds great. I am looking forward to practicing.
Please post your score (and videos if you have a camera) after you get comfortable with the exams. Also, let us know if you think the rating based on your score is an accurate description of your level of ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
I would like to see the BU doing a road school like the pool schools Randy and Scott do.
In the future, we hope to have BU Boot Camps scheduled in many cities at different times of year. The only event we have planned so far this year is the Annual BU Summer School Boot Camp to be held in July in Fort Collins, Colorado. Bob and I are hoping some AZB'ers will attend the inaugural event this year.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#23)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post

Do you think the row corresponding to your score in the rating comparison chart is an accurate measure of your ability?
It put me higher than I expected. But I probably didn't do all of the drills correctly - I know I misunderstood the progressive drill scoring, because I scored my first shot as a 4 every time, when it should have been my next shot's starting point. So I would have had one more shot to score. And i did the drills separately rather than at one time. Probably doing them consecutively would be tougher.

Thanks again for a great practice routine, and for all of the other materials you have available.

Old
  (#24)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It put me higher than I expected. But I probably didn't do all of the drills correctly - I know I misunderstood the progressive drill scoring, because I scored my first shot as a 4 every time, when it should have been my next shot's starting point. So I would have had one more shot to score. And i did the drills separately rather than at one time. Probably doing them consecutively would be tougher.
Detailed instructions for how to take the exams are in the BU Exam Instructions document and in the exam documents, which include the shot diagrams. For those who don't know, all of the exam documents and score sheets needed to take the exams are available here at no cost: BU Exam Resource Page

For people who don't like to look at documents, the following videos provide complete examples of each shot in both exams, along with how to score them:
NV D.4 - Billiard University - Part 4: Exam-I Overview - demonstrations and scoring of the Fundamentals Exam
NV D.5 - Billiard University - Part 5: Exam II Overview - demonstrations and scoring of the Skills Exam

Please post your score after you take the exams properly and I'll update it on the results page. Also, do you have a video camera? If you do, record and post videos of your exams, and you can be one of the three who gets a free pool diploma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Thanks again for a great practice routine, and for all of the other materials you have available.
You're very welcome. Please help spread the word.

We hope other AZB'ers out there try the exams and take us up on the free diploma offer.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#25)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

05-26-2013, 04:12 PM

This looks great!

I cant wait to get started. (Tho I guess I'll have to, until I get a chance to print off the materials at work, home printer on the fritz, hey)

I really think that if I can allow myself the time to work on these drills, it will be a great help. Really looking forward to it, thanks to you and all the rest of the faculty for putting it together and sharing with us.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#26)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 04:58 PM

You are providing a great service to the pool community. I would like to thank you for your contributions.
I played with some of the shots today. I didn't do as well as I would have liked,but I enjoy practicing with drills like this.
You have quite the cast of characters on your faculty. I have worked with Randy G, Jerry B, and Mark F. All are great teachers. I hope you get to the New Jersey area in the near future.

Old
  (#27)
JC
The Thread Stops Here
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2013, 05:54 PM

Great drills Dave! I notice you suggest having music playing in the background to validate the no edit but beware, you tube will automatically mute your video if certain songs are playing owned by a couple of the studios. This has happened to me on many occasions and I was just shooting pool with a playlist going from my computer to keep me company. And to make matters worse you will get an e mail from them about copyright infringement which means nothing but could make some folks nervous.

I prefer the Avery clear vinyl reinforcement circles #05722 over the white ones. They are thinner I think and almost invisible. Less than 4 bucks for 1000 of them. You can leave them all over the place and barely notice them when you move from drills to games. Sometimes you have to move your head around to catch a glare in order to even find them. I made a permanent 10 ball rack using my magic rack as a template with these and it works great just like the slug doctor. They are tough as hell and if one gets worn or damaged you can replace just that one to keep the whole rack in good order. I started with a normal spot that I punched a hole in the center and used the circles to make the rest (ok I got the idea from Stan Shuffet). Racks are immediate and tight and these clear circles are no factor to shoot over unlike the magic rack or the white circles which can skid a ball if hit just right.

JC

Old
  (#28)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

05-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Dave, do all the drills have to be on one video, or can you do each "set" of drills on a separate video? Camera I now have only records for 25 min.

Old
  (#29)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Quote:
... how does equipment variability come into play, e. g. bucket vs. tight pockets, 7 vs 9 ft tables, etc?
Here's a quote from the BU Exam Instructions document:

A 9’ table is recommended because the exams and rating system were designed for a regulation-size table. To receive a Doctorate diploma, both exams must be taken on a 9’ (or larger) table; however, a smaller table size (e.g., 7’ or 8’) is allowed for a Bachelors or Masters diploma.

We also collect table and pocket information (pocket point-to-point size and shelf depth) with the diploma application form, and publish this information with the scores on the official page that lists people's results. This will provide useful context along with the scores.

For this AZB thread, I thought people would just share their score, but they can also list the table info if they want to (for example, if they are proud of the fact they got a great score on a 10' table with 4" pockets!).
I forgot to mention that there is a factor in the score related to table size. If you take Exam I on a table smaller than 9', you're not allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II even if you score high enough on Exam I. In fact, this happened to me during my run at the exams (as summarized in the Exam I overview video). I got a 74 on Exam I, which falls in the Doctorate range (70-100), but since I took the Exam on an 8' table, I wasn't allowed to take the Doctorate version of Exam II. I had to take the Masters version instead, which has few points available. If I had taken the Doctorate version, I'm sure I could have earned more points than I did with the Masters version (even though the difficulty level is tougher with the Doctorate version), so doing the exams on a smaller table can limit your total score some.

Thanks again for the good question,
Dave

Old
  (#30)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

05-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
This looks great!
Thanks!

Quote:
I cant wait to get started. (Tho I guess I'll have to, until I get a chance to print off the materials at work, home printer on the fritz, hey)
I look forward to seeing your score (and videos if you have a camera).

Quote:
I really think that if I can allow myself the time to work on these drills, it will be a great help.
I agree completely. I personally feel like I stepped my game up a notch after all of the practice I got during the filming of the DVDs and while practicing before filming my official runs at the exams. And ever since then, it always amazes me how often I see the exam drill shots come up while I'm playing matches. When you see a shot that looks familiar and you have specifically practiced, it sure seems a lot easier.

Quote:
Really looking forward to it, thanks to you and all the rest of the faculty for putting it together and sharing with us.
You're very welcome. I'm excited that it is finally out there after working so hard on it for so long (especially the DVDs).

Catch you later,
Dave

Page 2 of 84 12 341252 Last »