Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page Nearest to farthest -- how bad is it?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member
David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-21-2020, 07:17 PM

My initial thought is the other stuff.

I’m headed to the pool room tomorrow and I’ll see if I can implement it in any way shape or form…

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - It’s George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938 - Dan Wesson VBOB .45
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Last edited by David in FL; 07-21-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Old
  (#17)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

07-21-2020, 07:20 PM

I tried it on my table with two furniture sliders with a small dot drawn on the perimeter.

For nearly full hits, it pocketed the ball.

For cut shots, it hits the OB too fat, and missed the ball.

The thinner the cut shot, the fatter it hit.

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-21-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
... The thinner the cut shot, the fatter it hit.
What if the cue ball is close to the object ball --say much closer than the distance to the pocket?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
What if the cue ball is close to the object ball --say much closer than the distance to the pocket?
The accuracy will increase as the distance between the balls decrease. The point on the CB will be closer to the actual CP needed. For a straight in shot it will be the proper CP regardless of distance.

The system needs some corn for texture though.

My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.

Old
  (#20)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
But is it Shinola or the other stuff? That's the question.
Shinola. I've not seen this system named, that I can recall. Starts with objective points on tte balls, then subjective adjustments are made.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#21)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Shinola. ...
Nope. Maybe you don't know the reference: "He can't tell the difference between $#!T and Shinola." In this reference, "Shinola" is not the luxury goods company that was founded about a decade ago, but rather refers to a brand of "shoe polish" which is a waxy substance people used to rub on their shoes back when shoes were made of leather in order to make them look better and to protect them from the elements. Here is an example excellent product from the company:

Name:  CropperCapture[613].jpg
Views: 207
Size:  32.2 KB

How soon will all the shoe shine stands disappear now that Shinola is gone?

I suppose the reference could be transferred now to the new company since it seems to sell high-quality goods.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#22)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

07-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
... The system needs some corn for texture though.
EEuuwwwh! Gross.

Old
  (#23)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

07-22-2020, 04:14 PM

For those who did not follow the description in words, here is a little help. I have marked the nearest point to the pocket on the cue ball and the farthest point from the pocket on two object balls. One shot is a straight in and the other is a cut.

Name:  CropperCapture[618].png
Views: 178
Size:  31.3 KB

The lines are just there to show how the dots got on the balls.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#24)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
And I'm just saying if you want to understand this sort of question about aiming systems or anything else, it will be better for you to work it out on your own. My description was complete enough, as PJ pointed out.

Try to come up with your own drawing. I'll post a drawing in four days.
WTF????? What's with all the subterfuge??? FOUR days????? Just spill it Professor.

Last edited by garczar; 07-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.

A step is missing in description
Old
  (#25)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

A step is missing in description - 07-22-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with Joe Tucker or parallel aiming. I'm not asking about other systems. I'm asking about the system I described above.

Can anyone figure out how good or bad it is? Did anyone understand my description or should I post a drawing?
The description given will only even hit the ob directly if the balls are within a balls width of straight.

Old
  (#26)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 05:38 PM

On paper it looks like it would work on close up shots, at about any angle, as long as the cb and ob are no more than a couple of inches from each other. The shots come off thicker and thicker as the cb gets farther away from the ob.

Last edited by BC21; 07-22-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Old
  (#27)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
The description given will only even hit the ob directly if the balls are within a balls width of straight.
It will hit the OB every time - too much of it, in fact.

It will only make the OB when they're nearly straight.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#28)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
On paper it looks like it would work on close up shots, at about any angle, as long as the cb and ob are no more than a couple of inches from each other. The shots come off thicker and thicker as the cb gets farther away from the ob.
Yes, because the farther they are apart the greater the difference in their angles to the pocket and the greater the offset between their aim points.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#29)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

07-22-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Which step do you think is missing in the description?

I have marked the spots on the balls in the diagram. The third step was:

Send those two spots directly at each other.

I'm having a very hard time seeing how the cue ball will avoid hitting the object ball directly.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 07-22-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Old
  (#30)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2020, 11:05 PM

Name:  _______________________jewett.png
Views: 162
Size:  37.4 KB

Drew a blue line between the red points. Found the center of the cue ball and marked it with another red dot. Drew red line parallel to desired blue contact point line past the cue ball to show aiming line. Looks like a little more than a half ball hit on a 60* shot.

My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.

Page 2 of 4 12 34