Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Holding cue when breaking.
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Think of a boxer, which is more effective.

A short compact punch, or a long looping one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDweller View Post
Scott - I don't understand your answer to the question in blue. If we are talking about a normal range of stroke, how does a shorter backstroke not reduce the top speed you can achieve?

I'm thinking you can easily prove that a shorter backstroke limits your maximum speed. All you have to do is pull your cue back 1 inch, now pause, then see how hard you can hit the break. Do it again, but this time pull the cue back 6 inches, then see how hard you can hit the break. I think you will quickly see that the length of the backstroke clearly has an effect on your top speed.

What am I missing here?

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#17)
krychekrowe
AzB Silver Member
krychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond reputekrychekrowe has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Golf players use their wrists upon impact. SVB has nice wrist action, that combined with timing is nice to watch.

Old
  (#18)
BasementDweller
AzB Silver Member
BasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond repute

05-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
Think of a boxer, which is more effective.

A short compact punch, or a long looping one.
I do choke up on the cue during the break shot, but I tend to use a slightly longer bridge than normal. It's my opinion that a longer bridge is a better option. I'm open minded on all things pool related so I was just trying to understand where Scott was coming from. I suppose the bridge length could get too long. At that point, you are hitting the cue ball so far past 90 degrees that you are losing power. Maybe this is what you guys are referring too. I'm not sure.

Dr. Dave's site has some interesting stuff on it regarding the break:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa...ak.html#advice

His advice is to use a longer bridge. Colin's info mentions choking up on the cue in order to give you a longer lever. This makes sense to me.

Old
  (#19)
scottjen26
AzB Silver Member
scottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond repute

05-03-2012, 09:13 AM

I choke up the cue a bit, about 2 - 3". Helps enable that long lever approach that you mentioned. I try to keep my bridge length as close to the natural pivot point on my break cue if I can for power breaks so that any unintentional english is mostly or completely canceled out. Not always possible depending on type of cue being used or having to move your break shot around.

You can't generate as much speed with a 1" backstroke as with a longer backstroke, as someone said if you pull back 1" I challenge anyone to accelerate fast enough in that small amount of space and time to generate any real power. But there is probably a limit - a 4" or 6" backswing might be sufficient and taking it back 10, 12 , or more inches is not necessarily going to increase your speed, I think that's what Scott and Randy are saying.

Even though I drop my elbow somewhat and extend on most shots and on the break, you certainly don't need to in order to generate a fair amount of power. And usually medium speed and accuracy is more important than trying to gain a few mph at the expense of accuracy.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 12