Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Which Way To Play This Shot?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Which Way To Play This Shot?
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Which Way To Play This Shot? - 10-26-2020, 01:45 PM

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/0eccb.png

Its a fairly thin cut on the 5B. And you need to come across the table for the 6B. The side pocket is into play. If you just try and go straight across you flirt with the danger of scratching into the side pocket. Plus you cant go forward because the 8B blocks your path to the 6B.

So, how do you get the CB back across the table and come long past the side pocket to take it out of play? Its a tough shot to hit with low since its fairly thin. Do you just hit this shot with alot of left english then?

I'm curious how people play this because I have always struggled with this type of shot.

r/DCP

And once again - PLEASE, NO STUPID COMMENTS FROM CERTAIN POSTERS.

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#2)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-26-2020, 01:58 PM

I think what you're really asking (or should be) is "How do I learn to control the CB on this kind of shot?"

The answer, of course, is practice. Shoot it with all kinds of spin and none until you're confident of the outcomes.

You might be surprised at how much easier it becomes to choose where you want it to go.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-26-2020, 03:46 PM

Depending on your skill level.
high skill level hit the 5 with a bit of low left and come across the table between the side pocket and the 7 assuming the 6 go's by the 8.
Looking at your diagram there appears to be a lot of room between the side pocket and the 7.
The cue ball will come off the rail on an angle and it looks like a 1 1/2 diamonds of room,thats a lot.

lower skill level just feather the 5 in with high English and come across the table and hope you dont get tied up by the 8.

Always keep in mind that on very hard position shots sometimes the best course of action is just get close to the next ball and play a safe.
I'm not an instructor but this looked like a fun one to give my opinion.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Last edited by measureman; 10-26-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
... lower skill level just feather the 5 in with high English and come across the table and hope you dont get tied up by the 8.
Yup. It looks to me like the cue ball will hit the 8 if you just roll it without side spin. There's a good chance the 8 will stop the cue ball for a good shot. Put the effort into aiming and not hitting too hard.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-26-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Yup. It looks to me like the cue ball will hit the 8 if you just roll it without side spin. There's a good chance the 8 will stop the cue ball for a good shot. Put the effort into aiming and not hitting too hard.
It's really hard to be exact looking at a diagram.
In person is so much easier.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#6)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2020, 05:11 PM

you need to learn how to go straight across and backward by 1/2 to 1 diamond up to 3 diamonds on command
same for forward
learn what tip placement and stroke is necessary to do it
that means go to the table and practice