Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 860 vs 760 Felt

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
860 vs 760 Felt
Old
  (#1)
MatiasMyles
Registered
MatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

860 vs 760 Felt - 10-20-2020, 01:37 PM

I own a 10 foot Brunswick and I'm looking to recover my table as the bees wax has lifted and pulled away from the seams. I think it is from vacuuming the felt with a shop vac and it sucked up some of the bees wax and pulled it away from the seam.

Someone told me to mix something else with the bees wax which makes it harder.

Any suggestions on which felt to purchase and what to use on the seams will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
JusticeNJ
Four Points/Steel Joints
JusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond reputeJusticeNJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1525

10-20-2020, 02:25 PM

I put 860HR on my table and about a year in, it's still pretty good. I guess it is a hair faster than regular 860.

I find 760 to be fairly unplayable, even for straight pool. I know some people feel differently though, so just my .02.

I play 14.1 almost exclusively on the table. A good ball polisher and de-humidifier and/or AC unit (if you don't have central AC in the room) will go a long way in the balls coming apart and the table playing fair.

"I once shot a .937 and Sigel beat me 11 to 4." - Grady

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasMyles View Post
... Any suggestions on which felt to purchase and what to use on the seams will be greatly appreciated.
Whether you want to use 860 or 760 depends some on your conditions. If your room is fairly humid, you may want to go for the higher speed of 760. John Schmidt's high runs were on 760 but the room is about a mile from the Pacific Ocean and the humidity stays high.

As for the seams, you probably should ask in the table mechanic forum. I believe that some installers use nothing in the seams but glue the slates together with super glue on a piece of paper between the slates. Maybe they add something to fill any chips. Whatever you do use should be able to withstand a vacuum.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
MatiasMyles
Registered
MatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond reputeMatiasMyles has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I own a 10 foot Brunswick and I'm looking to recover my table as the bees wax has lifted and pulled away from the seams. I think it is from vacuuming the felt with a shop vac and it sucked up some of the bees wax and pulled it away from the seam.
https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/

Any suggestions on which felt to purchase and what to use on the seams will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I got this on my own,..

Old
  (#5)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeNJ View Post
I find 760 to be fairly unplayable, even for straight pool.
The ball speed at that last 14.1 tournament in Virginia Beach looked pretty good to me. But then, they were close to the ocean also. Once 760 gets fairly well worn, and if you have solid climate control, only then will you likely find it too fast, and thus it might put you at a disadvantage when playing out in the commercial rooms that seem to prefer 860 HR these days.
Also, if you use a shop vac to clean the cloth, get the prober brush attachment that limits suction.

Old
  (#6)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 02:09 PM

760 is borderline unplayable the first couple of weeks or days with heavy play, then slows down and keeps its speed relatively well. It's playable until you wear completely through it. 860 loses its speed pretty fast and becomes a rug after a few months. You'll want to change it long before it wears completely out. Its also very susceptible to weather effects, especially high humidity, which slows it way down.

860 makes a lot of sense for a tournament with brand new cloth. All high wool content cloths play well in the beginning, but it doesn't last. The tournament players who play on 860 get something that plays like worn in 760, instead of brand new 760, which is like ice for at least the first couple of days. After that, 760 will have a very workable speed for straight pool for the rest of its life. If you want high runs in straight pool, I think fast cloth is the way to go. The balls will separate better, you'll have a wider range of angles that can break the balls apart on your breakshots, you can do more with the cueball.

You're allready on a 10 foot table. The last thing you want on that is slow cloth, unless you have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 10-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Old
  (#7)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Using Bondo on your slate seams is the only way to go!

Old
  (#8)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 02:22 PM

When I replaced my worn 760 with new in early spring, the speed was noticeably slower. Has remained consistent ever since, but with winter coming, I expect it will increase with use.

Old
  (#9)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Using Bondo on your slate seams is the only way to go!
I'm not familiar with the Bondo brand, though I understand it's the leading brand in the US. Using this kind of product on the slates is recommended, HOWEVER, if you're taking the table apart again, make sure to cut the seam with a razor blade before separating the slates, otherwise you might chip the slates when you pull them apart. This is especially true if the table allready had minor chips that needed to be filled.

It's a bit more work to get it perfect than beeswax, but it lasts longer.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 10-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Old
  (#10)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 11:21 PM

If you really want fast good cloth take Simonis 950 RUS Pro. It is exactly same cloth than 760 but weave of cloth is different and cut of nap is different. Used on Pyramid tables normally. We used to have 760 in our Finnish Kaisa tables. That game need fast cloth. Then we had couple Pyramid tables and they came with RUS Pro 950 and after some time we noticed how good 950 is. We then decided to get that cloth to Kaisa tables too. It also last longer than 760 and how cloth takes spin is near how 860 does. Great cloth. Almost like 860 HR. Just faster.

Dunno if it on sale in U.S though.. maybe.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM
317 balls on line up drill in order. no ball in hand between spotting. https://youtu.be/muw7prxTzyE

Old
  (#11)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
As for the seams, you probably should ask in the table mechanic forum. I believe that some installers use nothing in the seams but glue the slates together with super glue on a piece of paper between the slates. Maybe they add something to fill any chips. Whatever you do use should be able to withstand a vacuum.
Also I recommend to use pieces of paper with strong super glue to make slates like one piece. I then use on seams Plastic Padding PP 100 because it does not shrink and quite fast to harden. Good table mechanic should be able/know how to glue slates. Then they keep as one until you rip them apart.

Just my 2 cents as table mechanic

Straight Pool addict
317 balls on line up drill in order. no ball in hand between spotting. https://youtu.be/muw7prxTzyE

Old
  (#12)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member

10-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Forgot to warn also. If someone get that 950 Simonis RUS Pro, Weave is different and it won´t rip straight with hands like 860 or 760...

Straight Pool addict

Old
  (#13)
xXGEARXx
AzB Silver Member
xXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 10:48 AM