Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Pool Tables and Accessories Reviews
Reload this Page What kind of table is this

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What kind of table is this
Old
  (#1)
Agjelaj
AzB Bronze Member
Agjelaj is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

What kind of table is this - 10-01-2020, 02:10 PM

Hello,
I just purchased my home and it came with this table but I am not sure what kind it is. There are no markings on it. Does anyone know what kind of table it is or it’s value? Thanks!
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

10-01-2020, 02:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that's a Brunswick Challenger (circa late 1930s). I think it's been refinished and when they did that they removed the stainless steel strips on the legs and aprons. You can see where the three strips used to be on the legs. Those were very poplar at many pool halls across the country back in the good old days.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pastperfect...0110024-13.jpg

The value would be hard to pin point by just going off a few pics like this, but a good ball park value if it's a functional table would be around 1500. These old T-rail tables are gorgeous pieces of history, but typically are money pits to get up to standards that most serious players want, therefore the value tends to be very low.

Last edited by Lawnboy77; 10-01-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

10-01-2020, 07:03 PM

I'm not a table pro, but i think Lawnboy is being generous.
He covered all the details, Including the possible "risk" of effort (unknown) to make it play near to a modern table.

As he says, nothing really wrong with it at all.
It even appears you might have the Brazilian Rosewood rails Brunswick often used back in the day. However, very few people are really looking for an old table. A "collector" would probably pass because the trim will never be found to make it original.

To my eye, it is in attractive shape, at least. Just don't take it apart before you sell it. Tighten up the rails, keep a good light on it have a couple decent house cues available, and maybe someone will pay more than $1,000. If you take it apart and store it in the basement or garage, it won't bring $500.

smt

Old
  (#4)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:03 PM

Yeah I could be slightly generous with that estimate, but I think these classic tables tend to be undervalued. My family came out of rural Kentucky, where these were in just about every small town room in the area, furthermore my father was a furniture builder, so I can really appreciate the workmanship, and the over engineering that went into these old classics. Many of these old tables used woods that are now extinct, not this particular table, but still something to think about when looking at these old BBC tables. I do think the rail caps on this table were available in either Walnut, or Brazilian Rosewood.

It's probably as much sentimental as anything else for me. Just a lot of memories with these old tables. I see that someone added a molding of some sort to the bottom edge of the frame. This is where customers would tap the butt of the cue on the table to tell the rack boy that the game was over and he would come over with his change belt and collect the coins from the loser and rack em up again. There was no gambling permitted in the Bible Belt, but it was standard rules that the loser always paid, and if there were a few players in a game of rotation it could get expensive for a 10 year old kid in over his head.

Old
  (#5)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy77 View Post
Yeah I could be slightly generous with that estimate, but I think these classic tables tend to be undervalued. My family came out of rural Kentucky, where these were in just about every small town room in the area, furthermore my father was a furniture builder, so I can really appreciate the workmanship, and the over engineering that went into these old classics. Many of these old tables used woods that are now extinct, not this particular table, but still something to think about when looking at these old BBC tables. I do think the rail caps on this table were available in either Walnut, or Brazilian Rosewood.

It's probably as much sentimental as anything else for me. Just a lot of memories with these old tables. I see that someone added a molding of some sort to the bottom edge of the frame. This is where customers would tap the butt of the cue on the table to tell the rack boy that the game was over and he would come over with his change belt and collect the coins from the loser and rack em up again. There was no gambling permitted in the Bible Belt, but it was standard rules that the loser always paid, and if there were a few players in a game of rotation it could get expensive for a 10 year old kid in over his head.
Here is a Challenger: https://www.billiardrestoration.com/...challenger.htm The one on here is part Challenger/ part who knows what.

Old
  (#6)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Lawn -

I agree with you.
There is something very classy about a well set up traditional high end table. They were top of the line performance in their day and long after, and can still be set up to play as well as anything (from what i understand). However, most people, and dare i risk saying it, even many table techs aren't prepared for the time and effort ($$$) to work over 80 or 90 years of gradual decline and neglect & bring it up to a level a competitive player wants to see. They look great in a home room, too - but even the cabinetwork to make one regain some of its original elegance is time consuming for many ($$$ if hired out).

I'm moving along restoring my wife's 1926 BBC Royal, so am sympathetic. But am avoiding doing too much tallying of time. It would get depressing.

smt

Old
  (#7)
Agjelaj
AzB Bronze Member
Agjelaj is on a distinguished road

10-10-2020, 08:10 PM

Thank you everyone! Not sure what I’m going to do. I’m thinking of selling it but I love the look and I love playing on it so we shall see!