Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Billiard and Pool History in the U.S.
Reload this Page Google Maps - location of old poolrooms?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Google Maps - location of old poolrooms?
Old
  (#1)
poolmouse
AzB Silver Member
poolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Google Maps - location of old poolrooms? - 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM

I travel to NYC every so often and whenever I walk through Times Square I always wonder where 7-11 used to be. And Ames'. Etc. Are these historical locations or addresses documented anywhere with Google Maps links?

Old
  (#2)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I honestly dont know about NYC

But they are in Chicago

Old
  (#3)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-03-2012, 06:07 AM

Not too far from NYC was Weenie Beenie's pool room,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Staton
"...Jack and Jill's Cue Club in Arlington, Virginia, one of the top-action pool rooms in the 1960s and 1970s, with 32 tables, a pro shop, a snack bar, and a tournament area that seated 180 with tiered seating. Jack and Jill's was a favorite stop for pool players on the East Coast, open 24 hours a day".

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4A...ed=0CB4Q8gEwAA

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Map
Old
  (#4)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Thumbs up Map - 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmouse View Post
I travel to NYC every so often and whenever I walk through Times Square I always wonder where 7-11 used to be. And Ames'. Etc. Are these historical locations or addresses documented anywhere with Google Maps links?
Here you go zoom in on new york I think I have it there.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...28bccd58&msa=0

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

You have a right to play, not a right to win.

oops
Old
  (#5)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member
RoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond reputeRoadHustler has a reputation beyond repute

oops - 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

It's not on there... sorry I will find it in my notes and post it to that map.

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

Bam!! I love Google....
Old
  (#6)
RoadHustler
AzB Silver Member

Smile Bam!! I love Google.... - 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was located on West 47th Street (between Broadway and 7th Avenue). It was known as a taxi-dance ballroom, a place of male entertainment where women were paid by men to dance with them for a determined amount of time until the buzzer sounded, each dance usually lasting about one minute in duration. Taxi dancers were paid half the price of the dance ticket along with any other items the patrons thought to give them such as nylons, jewelry, dresses or cash. These women were not technically “women of the night” but a sort of “intermediate” class of female worker paid for her erotic services. Taxi-dance ballrooms were popular from about the 1920s on for dating as well as dancing.

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was on ground level below Paddy’s 7-11, a 24 hour pool hall, enormously popular during the time period in which these images were taken. “During the 1950s and into the 60s, it was where a lot of really, really, really sort of monstrously talented pool players from all over the country would come and hang out and gamble for some pretty high stakes” – players like Jersey Red, Three-Fingered Gus, Wagon Head (a player who always wagged his head when he shot), New York Blackie, Joey with Glasses, and Bicycle Charlie.
Here's the link...
http://www.queensmuseum.org/blog/?p=320

Garrett Williams
blog.roadhustler.com
twitter.com/Rdhustler

Ames and Julian's
Old
  (#7)
BayGene
AzB Gold Member
BayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond reputeBayGene has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Ames and Julian's - 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM

(If I can remember after 50 years)
Ames was on the second floor about 100 feet east of the Northeast corner of Broadway and 44th Street. Easy to spot, it was behind the "smoking" Camel sign.

Julian's Billiard Academy was above the Academy of Music, next to Luchow's on the south side of 14th Street between Irving Place and Third Avenue. An NYU dorm now stands on the site...as do many NYU dorms on many sites!

Playing cues:
Ray Schuler Legacy by Terry Trim with Jacoby extension and additional Noel Mendoza shaft. New addition: Predator Revo 12.4 with Holden Chin adaptor.
Signed Ray Schuler original with two original Schuler shafts.

Last edited by BayGene; 05-17-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Made a mistake!

Old
  (#8)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

07-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Ames Billiard Academy
160 W. 44th St.
New York, NY 10036

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...ed=0CAUQ8gEwAA

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Last edited by rexus31; 07-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Not as I recall
Old
  (#9)
Ed Wiggins
AzB Silver Member
Ed Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond repute

Not as I recall - 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHustler View Post

The Honeymoon Lane Dance Land was on ground level below Paddy’s 7-11, a 24 hour pool hall
No. It wasn't.
There was a different dime-a-dance joint on the second floor.
The 7-11 was on the third floor.

And the name "Ames" hadn't been on the 44th St. poolroom long before "The Hustler" was made. It was previously named "Elkins".

EW

Old
  (#10)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

07-19-2012, 09:15 PM

I used to go to 7-11 back in the 60's and if memory serves me 711 was the address. I think it was 711 Avenue of the Americas.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#11)
TomIndingaro
Registered
TomIndingaro is on a distinguished road

11-18-2012, 09:28 AM

wondering if there are any in the washington dc area

Old
  (#12)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomIndingaro View Post
wondering if there are any in the washington dc area
A little before my time, but I will see what I can do.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#13)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Hey guys,

Is this a pic of 7-11 (left side of the pic)? I'm pretty sure it's not Ames' but I'm also only 48 years old so this is all before my time.

Name:  poolhall.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  195.2 KB

Cue: Schon with OB shaft
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Old
  (#14)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock View Post
Hey guys,

Is this a pic of 7-11 (left side of the pic)? I'm pretty sure it's not Ames' but I'm also only 48 years old so this is all before my time.

Attachment 557288
The pool room Guys and Dolls was also upstairs a block or two from 7-11 on the same street.
I used to go to both rooms but dont remember what it looked like in your picture.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot