Is this a double hit?
Old
  (#1)
n9neballking
Registered
n9neballking is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Is this a double hit? - 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM

I was trying to find somewhere that current or former refs could weigh in on it but this was all that came to mind lol.

The video is taken from a bad angle and poor quality to make it a 100% accurate call but i say foul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQAnfibaMr0

Old
  (#2)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9neballking View Post
I was trying to find somewhere that current or former refs could weigh in on it but this was all that came to mind lol.

The video is taken from a bad angle and poor quality to make it a 100% accurate call but i say foul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQAnfibaMr0
Video is very poor quality. Many frames missing from playback. Based on what I saw, no foul.

Old
  (#3)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-26-2018, 06:14 AM

Looks good to me also, the cue tip was pulled back before a second hit, that hesitation that may look like a double hit looks to be the cueball jumping up a bit before the follow takes. On a double hit the cueball would go faster forward and not have that pause where the spin takes grab of the cloth. Also in most double hit fouls with follow, the ceuball will be traveling at the same speed or faster than the object ball, and the object ball clearly leaves the frame well before the cueball.

Here is how you can tell in the video. look at the gap between the two balls, place your mouse on the edge of the cueball, then move it forward to just about the length of the gap. Keep it there and play the video. If the tip does not go past the cursor, it is a good hit. I'll tell you now that I did that, and it was a good hit.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 03-26-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Old
  (#4)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2018, 06:28 AM

Good hit. The cue ball action and speed was natural for the shot. If the cue ball ran forward abnormally fast it is a double hit. If it dribbles forward after a delay like a normal top English shot, it’s good.

Old
  (#5)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
Good hit. The cue ball action and speed was natural for the shot. If the cue ball ran forward abnormally fast it is a double hit. If it dribbles forward after a delay like a normal top English shot, it’s good.
Not true at all. While most double hits will cause the cue ball to pick up speed, I can know that it’s possible to double hit without really gaining speed.

Old
  (#6)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hits 'em Hard View Post
Not true at all. While most double hits will cause the cue ball to pick up speed, I can know that it’s possible to double hit without really gaining speed.

I come here to learn and engage. Do you mind elaborating?

I suspect there are times where everything reacts naturally and only a super slow motion camera could detect a double hit. In those scenarios I 100% accept a spotter/ref calling that a good hit.

Old
  (#7)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-22-2018, 11:21 AM

good hit-would never be thought twice about in straight pool.

Old
  (#8)
kmorgan
AzB Gold Member
kmorgan is on a distinguished road

09-30-2018, 07:37 AM

Good hit. Cue ball bounced back before rolling forward. A double hit would have contacted the cue ball on it's bounce and sent it forward immediately.

Old
  (#9)
Sunchaser
Belgian Malinois
Sunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond repute

09-30-2018, 08:15 AM

Watched it several times. Good hit. Mike Massey does a side arm wrist stroke when balls are way closer than that by the way.

Is this a double hit?
Old
  (#10)
greyghost
Coast to Coast
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a double hit? - 12-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
Watched it several times. Good hit. Mike Massey does a side arm wrist stroke when balls are way closer than that by the way.

That’s called a fouetté shot and many foul shooting it by cb hitting the ferrule.....doesn’t need any kind of side arm action technically speaking, very hard to do with a spiney/ stiff shaft

Best technique for executing close quarter shots is called a short finish......bar none and it’s very easy to accomplish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk