Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > US Open Championships
Reload this Page 2014 us open 9-ball
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-23-2014, 04:07 AM

LOL@ all the complaints about no money in pool and the players can't swing a $1,000 entry fee plus expenses.
That's saving $20/week for the year plus expenses - if you can't do that then I don't know what to tell you.
If you play that good (US OPEN SPEED) then WINNING $20/WEEK shouldn't be a problem!!!!
Oh well, keep complaining

Old
  (#17)
RobertaAgnor
AzB Silver Member
RobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond reputeRobertaAgnor has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
LOL@ all the complaints about no money in pool and the players can't swing a $1,000 entry fee plus expenses.
That's saving $20/week for the year plus expenses - if you can't do that then I don't know what to tell you.
If you play that good (US OPEN SPEED) then WINNING $20/WEEK shouldn't be a problem!!!!
The entry fee was lowered to $750.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Roberta L. (Agnor) Clark

Old
  (#18)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 08:04 AM

And they're still crying

Old
  (#19)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2014, 08:13 AM

I have no problem with limiting the field and still calling it the US Open. The problem is there would need to be some sort of viable qualification system to get in, and there is none. The world rankings and any money lists are sort of a joke in this regard and there is no system of qualifying via preset criteria and qualification tournaments.

The other problem with limiting the field is money. There is none, or at least not enough of it. Historically it is the dead money that has helped subsidize the tournament. Take that away and I just don't see how it pencils out. The event has not seemed to be a big money maker and those funds are going to have to be found somewhere. That is unless perhaps all the dead money players cause the tournament to run days longer and actually cost more than they contribute.

But if a system of qualification tournaments could be put together to fill out the field and there was a legitimate way to determine those that are exempt into the event, then the field could be limited to getting this thing done in a few days and perhaps make the thing financially viable.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#20)
CSykes24
www.coreysykes.com
CSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond reputeCSykes24 has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
You realize that expenses for a week @ $100/night for hotel and $30 a day for food + gas or flight makes the trip like $2k-3k, right? And that $3k is basically what 5/6th get. Want to waste a week and not get anything bad? It's not financially viable. I probably would've played again this year had it been $500, but it's just not a good idea.

The difference is that people would jump at $500 to play with Tiger Woods or any big professional of a sport. It doesn't matter here, when you can play them for less outside of a tournament when they're near or if they're charging <$100/hr for lessons...whatever it may be.

Old
  (#21)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg

09-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSykes24 View Post
You realize that expenses for a week @ $100/night for hotel and $30 a day for food + gas or flight makes the trip like $2k-3k, right? And that $3k is basically what 5/6th get. Want to waste a week and not get anything bad? It's not financially viable. I probably would've played again this year had it been $500, but it's just not a good idea.

The difference is that people would jump at $500 to play with Tiger Woods or any big professional of a sport. It doesn't matter here, when you can play them for less outside of a tournament when they're near or if they're charging <$100/hr for lessons...whatever it may be.
69cents/day for the year is gonna keep you from playing?
Btw, I agree that only the top few will even cover "costs" same as the Derby. My point is that if you play US OPEN speed, you should be able to win the $ throughout the yr to pay for the trip.
I won't even play the open event at SBE and I can drive it everyday, cause of the cost of taking off work for those few days would equal winning the tournament, and there's NO chance of that

Page 2 of 2 12