Go Back   AzBilliards.com > ENGLISH!
Reload this Page Conversation Between ENGLISH! and sjm
Conversation Between ENGLISH! and sjm
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. sjm
    12-18-2012 08:57 PM
    sjm
    I'll soon be 55.

I began going to the Golden Q in Queens, NY, in 1966, aged 8. My father played pool once a week and took me with him. He left me by the exhibition tables, where I sweated the action until his game was over. Many legends frequented the Golden Q bakc then, including Laurie, Nagy, Eufemia, Mizerak, Colavita, Martin, Crane, and Ervolino. I saw all of them play.

By age 11, though I had yet to hit my first ball, I had watched the old timers for 3 years, and began to understand what they were doing.

I began playing in 1969 when my father bought a house with a table. I wasn't talented, but played 14.1 and felt knowledgeable because I'd watched the masters. Over the next 15 years, I attended 9 world 14.1 championships and always knew some of the players, as they remembered me from the Golden Q. I'd sweat the matches with them, and some, Crane in particular, were happy to explain some of the play to me.

... that's why I reckon I am the youngest old schooler.
  2. ENGLISH!
    12-18-2012 08:04 PM
    ENGLISH!
    I guess you are the youngest old schooler, I'm 59.