Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > CJ Wiley
Reload this Page Creative Missing...an opportunity for improvement
Rate this Entry

Creative Missing...an opportunity for improvement

Posted 08-17-2012 at 01:47 AM by CJ Wiley

You generally won’t read or hear anyone talk about the shots they missed in a match. The funny thing is that missing is a very important part of the game, and probably the most overlooked opportunity for improvement. Don’t get me wrong, I would never advise anyone to miss more shots, even though I miss shots on purpose in certain situations.
Please understand when this situation comes up it is not that I am trying to “hustle” anyone or anything like that; it is because of the layout of the table. If I am confronted with a shot that I feel is not only very difficult to make, but also tough to use for position on the next shot I will change my strategy and look for another option. Many times when there are more than two balls on the table, there are ways to shoot at a tough shot and play safe at the same time. I look from the pocket I’m shooting at and draw a straight line through the other balls on the table, looking to see where I would want the cue-ball to end up if I missed the ball that
I was shooting. Usually, a missed shot will stay close to the intended pocket.
Sometimes you will be shooting the shot with enough speed that it will go to a different part of the table if it’s not made. In those cases, start at that location and draw a straight line through the other balls on the table to see where you would want to end up; play your position with that in mind.
Remember, a missed shot is just a shot that isn’t made for a reason and usually that reason is for you to practice the same type shot until you can make it. The difference between an amateur and a pro is “an amateur will practice until they can do something right and a pro will practice until THEY CAN’T DO IT WRONG.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4782 Comments 0 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments