Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > TomHay
Reload this Page What ever happened to Pool??????
Rate this Entry

What ever happened to Pool??????

Posted 08-30-2012 at 05:24 PM by TomHay

I can remember back in the 1960's I went to a Pool Hall named Charlies in Upstate NY.

6 tables and a 3 cushion billiard table all made in late 1800's.

3 tables on left side were for straight pool, the game of that day, front right hand side was 9 ball, Charlie Racked and back 2 right were for ball hitters.

Around the perimiter were small but attached seats that sat up on a platform about 6" high and each table had two master wooden chairs.

You did not talk, whispering was mainly allowed. You did not swear, Charlie would pipe up a "by the numbers" with stern look if someone swore and yes you could be told to leave.

No Juke Box, it was a Pool Hall, you were there to play pool.

No just walking around. If you walked by a table with a person down on the ball and kept going, you could be asked to leave.

During a game if someone made a nice or great shot nothing was said, you congratulated him with a few taps on the floor with the butt of your cue.

Today its do what you want, walk where you want, yell talk and play head banging music.

Those kids being allowed to do this don't spend money, they hang out and keep the good money spending lovers of the game out.

I laugh when told downstairs Pool Rooms like Charlies were called "Seedy" when you had to act like a pure gentleman while todays upscale places allows pure unsportsmanlike conduct.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 29223 Comments 1 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    What happened? Easy answer...they started to let women in and start playing. Just changed everything....