Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > CJ Wiley
Reload this Page Pocket Billiards - Great TV Game or the Greatest?
Rate this Entry

Pocket Billiards - Great TV Game or the Greatest?

Posted 10-11-2012 at 08:14 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 01-20-2013 at 05:26 AM by CJ Wiley

Pool is very much like Boxing, but instead of flurries of punches you have flurries of shots, or at the upper level flurries of racks. Instead of hooks and jabs you have draws and stuns, instead of knock out punches, you have knock out breaks, instead of ducking and dodging you're kicking and playing safe, you don't lose blood but you do lose pride, instead of 15 rounds you must win 15 games.... 9 Ball is the best TV Game, it's fast and easy to follow because there's always just one target for the fans to follow. Like Boxing there's a pre show of the brutal training the two players have to go through to compete. And of course the championship Belt.

Call pocket, Winner Break, no specialty cues, no corner ball, break from the box, 4.25 inch pockets, Incoming Player has option to pass the shot unless it's a safe, one two way shot a game, one two way safe a game, and a 15 second shot clock, race to 15, and a Ref. with white gloves racking the balls, and players dressed in Giorgio Armani, that covers what type of game.

However, like I have stated in my last posts there must be an emotional attachment to the professionals playing the game. The Game cannot be expected to draw the audience, but the players can. It's been done before and history always repeats its self and the cycle of pocket billiards is getting ready to move up. And Yes, Pocket Billiards is the Master Game.

It's just a matter of changing the present paradigm and that's a matter of implementing a strategic plan. I have a feeling this plan is underway and the stars are aligning and that means something special is in motion, and a new age of pool will soon be born.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 30106 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Hello CJ,

I like the call pocket, winner breaks, incoming player has option to shoot or pass, and a gloved ref racking. I personally would like to see the push-out eliminated from the rules, it's like a mulligan in golf, and the 3 foul rule excluded from games played with ball in hand rules. To me it makes more sense to have the 3-foul if you're playing games using the option rule. I love ball in hand rules but miss the days of the spot shot.
    My opinion of the rules I mentioned are based on questions I received from co-workers when they find out I am a pool player. I work in a corporate environment and a couple of the most asked questions is "Why does a pro need ball in hand?" or "How come a pro gets to pick up the white ball and put it where they want?". I try and explain the logic and strategy of safety play and to get them to understand the rewards and penalties of committing such infractions but their facial expression glaze over and the conversations usually move on to another topic.
    In the last 20 or so years I can only recall Buddy Hall and Ray Martin commenting on the current Texas Express 9-ball rules. I don't remember the exact details of their comments and certainly don't want to attempt to quote them but just remember how much sense was made.
  2. Old Comment
    Your're right, the ball in hand waters down the game and keeps the players from having to max out their potential. The roll out can be a great part of the game, just not as it is right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesjr1963 View Comment
    Hello CJ,

I like the call pocket, winner breaks, incoming player has option to shoot or pass, and a gloved ref racking. I personally would like to see the push-out eliminated from the rules, it's like a mulligan in golf, and the 3 foul rule excluded from games played with ball in hand rules. To me it makes more sense to have the 3-foul if you're playing games using the option rule. I love ball in hand rules but miss the days of the spot shot.
    My opinion of the rules I mentioned are based on questions I received from co-workers when they find out I am a pool player. I work in a corporate environment and a couple of the most asked questions is "Why does a pro need ball in hand?" or "How come a pro gets to pick up the white ball and put it where they want?". I try and explain the logic and strategy of safety play and to get them to understand the rewards and penalties of committing such infractions but their facial expression glaze over and the conversations usually move on to another topic.
    In the last 20 or so years I can only recall Buddy Hall and Ray Martin commenting on the current Texas Express 9-ball rules. I don't remember the exact details of their comments and certainly don't want to attempt to quote them but just remember how much sense was made.