Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > CJ Wiley
Reload this Page "Low Deflection" shafts - Deflection Can Be an Advantage
Rate this Entry

"Low Deflection" shafts - Deflection Can Be an Advantage

Posted 11-22-2012 at 07:30 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 04-04-2013 at 02:21 AM by CJ Wiley

"Low Deflection" shafts are fine, but they still deflect slightly. I'm of the opinion that it's better to TRY to throw the shots and make the deflection process "your best friend," rather than some "evil enemy."

There's two trains of thought when playing rotation games. One is to let the table dictate what shot you hit. That would mean you look at the shot and it tells you what speed, what spin, and what angle (is the best to get on your next shot).

The other way is what I suggest. Develop a shot that enables you to maximize the pocket size. This means you line up to undercut the shot slightly (aim in the pocket, but on the "undercut side") and deflect it to over-cut slightly.

My preference is to deflect the ball slightly with a "Touch" of Inside because I can get a more consistent result by adjusting my speed, rather than my "aim". Then I can start playing a consistent angle as well. This means I'm controlling the angle, the speed, and the spin according to your preference, not because the "table makes me hit a low percentage {spinning} shot."

Sounds backwards, however, think about it, how well could you play if you hit the same speed, {same}place on the cue ball, and {same} angle every time?

If I undercut a shot I hit it firmer and accelerate more next time. If I miss the same shot hitting a "slow spin shot," I don't get the feedback to know what happened, it could be a variety of factors. There's more calculations, so therefore more variables to deal with.

If I make an adjustment that's incorrect it could throw you off temporarily enough to lose a whole match or gambling set. The amount of money involved in matches I've played prohibited this type of guessing. I had to know for sure so I could make a specific adjustment!

When we spin the ball or try to hit center and miss there's a lot more variables and it's difficult to know and adjust for errant shots. This effects our ability to maximize "margin of error"
through the use of "Pocket Zones". To create a pocket zone you must learn to favor one side of the pocket and effectively force it into the center or other side of the pocket.

To see free videos demonstrating these techniques visit my web site at www.cjwiley.com - you will see 29 balls in a row made in one pocket and the 15 ball rotation ghost drill using the Touch of inside system.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26306 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Thanks CJ I was about to ask your opinion in the forum and found my answer here.....
  2. Old Comment
    CJ... This is one of the best pocketing tips ever posted.

I think players shy away from inside english because they've read collision induced throw (CIT) sends the OB off line.
    Yes it can... and players could adjust for this throw if it's needed to pocket a ball.

Using just a Touch Of Inside as you suggest will make the cue ball deflect slightly. (Or make the CB "squirt" slightly).
    The CIT seems to be minimized using your TOI and will send the undercut OB closer toward the pocket centerline.

Thanks for your TOI tip. Carl
    Updated 01-08-2013 at 06:29 AM by Ralph Kramden